- The Carol Mortensen Invasive Species Management Award for Individual Achievement was presented to Jean at the October 2016 Upper Midwest Invasive Species Conference.
- Clean Water Action Minnesota named Jean 2014 Legislator of the Year for dedication and leadership on behalf of Minnesota’s waters and people.
- Clean Water Action Minnesota made Jean its 2010 State Representative for Outstanding Efforts to Protect Minnesota’s Waters
- The North Star Chapter of the Sierra Club gave Jean its 2010 Legislative Leadership Award.
- The Nature Conservancy gave Jean their 2007 Government Relations Award “for outstanding conservation advocacy and leadership in protecting Minnesota’s natural heritage.”
- Children’s Defense Fund Minnesota Action Council made Jean a 2007 Legislative Children’s Champion.
- Audubon Minnesota gave Jean an award in 2005 "In appreciation of exceptional legislative leadership in protecting birds and their habitat."
- Conservation Minnesota gave Jean a “100% Minnesotan” award for a perfect score in 2005, 2006, and 2007.
- In 2003 Jean received an Environmental Leadership Award from the Minnesota League of Conservation Voters.
- In 2002 Minnesota Alliance for Progressive Action awarded Jean for "her commitment to progressive values and environmental justice."
- In 2002 The North Star Chapter of the Sierra Club gave her an "Outstanding Environmental Leadership Award" for her longtime leadership at the legislature on environmental issues.
- In June 2001 she was honored at a program at the University of Minnesota’s Center for Spirituality and Healing for her work on improving health care for children.
- The League of Conservation Voters named Jean a "1998 Environmental Hero" for long term leadership in protecting the environment.
- The Ford Foundation gave Minnesota its prestigious "Innovations Award" and $100,000 grant in recognition of our land recycling program. Jean was honored in Washington, D.C. by then-Vice President Al Gore because she authored the law.
- Jean was chosen as one of the "Top Five Representatives" by readers of the Saint Paul Legal Ledger in 2000.
- Jean consistently receives "100%" ratings from the Conservation Minnesota, Children’s Defense Fund, and The North Star Chapter of the Sierra Club based on votes at the legislature.